Consumers is excited to share that we have been selected as a 101 Best and Brightest Sustainable Company. In 2014, Consumers established its first ever Committee for Sustainability with the goals of 1) creating a Statement of Commitment to Sustainable Practices to educate our team and members, 2) identifying and documenting current sustainable Credit Union practices, and 3) identifying areas for improvement. The committee has met with much support from staff and members alike.
Initiatives that are reducing our environmental impact include:
- Electronic document signatures (with an estimated savings of 40,000+ sheets of paper this year)
- eStatements – ConsumersCU.org/eStatements
- Improving recycling programs at all offices
- Exploration of green building practices for future construction projects
- Reselling or recycling of old electronics and equipment
Consumers also sponsors Western Michigan University’s Wesustain EcoMug program, which provides every incoming student with a reusable mug to reduce waste from disposable cups on campus (www.wmich.edu/sustainability).
For a complete list of all of the winners of this illustrious honor go to this website: http://www.101bestandbrightest.com
“How we behave and what we believe reflects our values in our community and for our environment. Our employees are role models in making sustainable decisions and promoting practices that preserve the well being of future generations.” – Statement of Commitment to Sustainability