This week marks one of America’s favorite summertime events, Shark Week. Yes that’s right, Shark Week. The moment in summer when you decide to avoid the heat and stay up late watching far-fetched stories of the giant shark that terrorized beaches and ended up getting away. This year, however, is extra special as it marks the 40th anniversary of one of Hollywood’s first ever blockbusters and quintessential shark stories, Jaws. Here are some fun facts to consider about the movie Jaws.
- Universal Studios purchased the rights to the book, Jaws, written by Peter Benchley for $175,000.
- Steven Spielberg originally wanted to leave the Jaws project for fear he’d be typecast, however he could not leave due to a contract he had signed with Universal Studios.
- Originally the film had a budget of $3.5 million, however was bumped up to $4 million.
- When production had wrapped up, cost hovered at $9 million, causing crew members to call the film “Flaws” for all of the issues encountered.
- Jaws earned $470 million internationally and adjusted for current prices it barely surpassed the $2 billion mark.
- In 1975 movie tickets cost just over $2.
- Jaws can be accredited to the change in movie marketing and the wide-release concept. This, in turn, made the cost of popcorn rise drastically!
- We currently offer a great 1.25% Money Market. Sink your teeth into great savings!