Consumers Credit Union is thrilled to be delivering Mastercard credit cards with an EMV chip to a mailbox near you!
What is a chip card? It’s a credit card with a microchip embedded in the front of your card. You use it just like your credit cards with a magnetic strip but it adds an extra layer of protection EACH time you use it. Here are five reasons a Consumers chip card is right for you:
- Advanced security. Think of the chip card as a “code chameleon” – every time you make a transaction, your code changes, which is a big deterrent for criminals.
- Cards stay with you. In retail and restaurant locations using the chip card readers, your card stays in front of you at all times. (Again, another deterrent for would-be thieves!)
- Fly the friendly skies. Chip cards are already popular in many countries all over the world, making travel a breeze.
- It’s easy to use. When you use your card at a merchant who has enabled EMV or chip functionality, all you need to do is insert your card into the front of a credit card machine reader vs. swiping the standard way.
- Traditional use still works. Chip cards are still equipped with magnetic card strips on the back like you are used to and you can still use a signature or PIN to complete your transactions when an EMV chip card reader is not available.
If you are traveling internationally click HERE to let us know.
We’ll get a Consumers Mastercard chip credit card in your hands before you leave!
Debit cards will not change until 2016.