Consumers Credit Union is thrilled to be delivering MasterCard Credit Cards with an EMV Chip to a mailbox near you!
What is a chip card? It’s a credit card with a microchip embedded in the front of your card. You use it just like your credit cards with a magnetic strip but it adds an extra layer of protection EACH time you use it. Here are five reasons a Consumers Chip Card is right for you:
1) Advanced security. Think of the chip card as a “code chameleon” – every time you make a transaction, your code changes, which is a big deterrent for criminals.
2) Cards stay with you. In retail and restaurant locations using the chip card readers, your card stays in front of you at all times. (Again, another deterrent for would-be thieves!)
3) Fly the friendly skies. Chip cards are already popular in many countries all over the world, making travel a breeze.
4) It’s easy to use. When you use your card at a merchant who has enabled EMV or Chip functionality, all you need to do is insert your card into the front of a credit card machine reader vs. swiping the standard way.
5) Traditional use still works. Chip cards are still equipped with magnetic card strips on the back like you are used to and you can still use a signature or PIN to complete your transactions when an EMV chip card reader is not available.
If you are traveling internationally click HERE to let us know.
We’ll get a Consumers MasterCard chip credit card in your hands before you leave!
Debit cards will not change until 2016.